From: Haseltine, Celeste [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 10:04 AM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: Struts Productivity Survey

Greg,
Wow, I don't envy your assignment. There is one thing that I have learned
over the years as both a developer and project manager, people learn at
different rates, and pick up new skills very differently.

In the case of the people who only know C++, the transition to Java will not
be difficult. If they have had no exposure to HTML and web development,
then the transition to JSP's will take them a little longer. I've know some
really good low level C++ programmers who just cannot get the hang of HTML,
much less the tag library underlying struts. These guys are better suited
for the server side and EJB side of development.

As for the VB programmer, your job is going to much more difficult. Many of
the VB programmers I have meet over the past 2 years have had no exposure or
training in Object Oriented Programming (OO). Many have moved to VB from
mainframe jobs that they started back in the 70's and 80's. For those on
your staff who have had exposure to C++ in college, the move to Java will
probably be easier than for those on your staff you have come from a
mainframe background.

As to Struts, JSP's and the tag libraries. You are looking at training
these people in ALL three of these concepts/technology. I would strongly
suggest that you start out your training class in JSP's using the Model 1
concept the first few days, and then introduce Struts and the JSP tag
libraries for the duration of the training course.

In all, my experience in training people in a combination of on the job and
classes has been as follows:

For those with heavy C++ experience, moving to Java/JSP/Servlets/HMTL took
about month before these people were productive.

For those with some exposure to C++ and OO, but no work experience, it took
about 2 months for these people to be productive.

For those with no exposure to C++ and OO (mainframe background), it took
anywhere from 4 months to 9 months before these people were really useful
and productive in the work environment. A lot depended on the attitude of
the person, and their willingness to learn new programming skills AND new
programming/software concepts, particularly OO. If you can get over the
hurdle of the OO concepts, then you are 2/3 of the way there.

If you add struts and HTML to the equation, I would add an extra 2 to 4
weeks, before the staff is really productive and useful in the work
environment.
Keep in mind again that people learn at different rates, and that they learn
in different ways. The approach you take to exposing and training these
people may not work for the entire group, and you may need to take extra
time and try different approaches with some in the group.

Good luck, this is one assignment that I don't envy you on.
Celeste