From: Robert McIntosh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 10:24 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Axis/SOAP proposal for Struts

I think this would be a wonderful idea for several reasons.

- For one it would really enable a standalone Swing (maybe even SWT...)
or applet-based client to use the processesing abilities of the struts
app in a more defined manner. Or even, dare I say, a .Net client...
- It would also enable application to application communication, which
could be a big plus for some enterprises. Imagine, a B2B scenario, or
even within an enterprise some app could send a message to JMS, which is

picked up by a MDB which then sends a SOAP message to a Struts-based
application.

I think it would really open up the possibilities and user base for
Struts.

Just my .02
Robert McIntosh

Mike Oliver wrote:

>Struts Users,
>

>I would like to propose that Struts be extended to support another
entry
>point.  The ActionServlet would be augmented by an Axis/SOAP Web
>Services Interface to Struts.  FormBeans would be part of the payload
>for requests.  Responses would be generated by Forwards for SOAP.  This
>new Axis entry point would do the same work as ActionServlet with the
>only significant difference being the construction of the FormBean.
>Incoming SOAP Requests would be configured to call the same
>RequestHandlers and as far as the actions go they won't know that the
>source was an HTML Form or a serialized FormBean.
>

>I feel this will give a great deal of flexibility to Applications where
>they want a Web Browser User Interface as well as Web Services for the
>same Application Data Model and Business Logic.
>

>I am planning on doing this anyway, and felt it applicable to this
group
>and would offer to share it as a sub project and would welcome
>contributions of thought, expertise and code.
>

>Michael Oliver
>Chief Technology Officer
>AppsAsPeers LLC
>7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
>Tucson, AZ 85747
>520.574.1150 Voice
>520.844.1036 Fax
>520.270.8862 Cell
>http://www.appsaspeers.com <http://www.appsaspeers.com/>  Home Page
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] SMS
>http://www.ollie.ezpeer.net <http://www.ollie.ezpeer.net/>  Personal
>Home Page
>http://www.ollie.im-live.com/im-live/  Instant Chat
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] MSN Messenger
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo Instant Messenger
>MikeOliverAZ Aol Instant Messenger

For additional commands, e-mail: