Kenny Smith wrote:

Hi s.frank,

I think your first paragraph and second make different points. I completely disagree that choice of IDE is just an aesthetic choice. Your second point about the Perforce-Integration is talking about specific functionality. If your project requires specific functionality, then the choices of IDEs are limited. However, people think differently. Take NetBeans and Eclipse. They do the same job, but they do it in VASTLY different ways. Why? Because different people have different ideas. One person will be far more productive using Eclipse and a different person will be more productive with NetBeans.
Yes.

Seriously... who _cares_ if it's easier for an administrator to setup a new box. That is a one time event and completely gets lost in the amount of time a developer will spend using the machine. In addition, IDEs are pretty darn easy to install. My box at work came without one, I chose my favorite and installed that one.
Sure -- let each developer set up their own environment.

It's a myth that using one IDE improves team performance.
I agree. Consider Struts (and thus getting this thread somewhat back on topic). Who cares what IDE Craig or Ted or any of the other committers use? In an OO development environment, define the interfaces between subsystems, divie up the work, and integrate the work of different developers when the time comes. How each developer accomplishes his subsystem is immaterial as long as the functionality and interfaces are well-defined.

david

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I think there exist many and more fruitful ways to express your
individuality than using IDE A rather than that ide B. If the IDE is not important, why not standardize one: Makes it easier for
administrators to setup new boxes, allows to pass the box to another
member of your team, allows to use the same plug-ins and so on: Just think
about Integration with version-Control: Cowboy-Coder A uses Eclipse which
has a bug with Perforce-Integration, Cowboy-Coder B insists on using
IntelliJ, which has no Perforce-Integration at all: And the Newbie-Coder
comes in and is totally confused as there exist three ways of setting up
your enviroment. No Standards at all are ok if you have a team-size of
one... --- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --- Datum: 21.01.2003 16:20