Did you remember to extend ValidatorForm or ValidatorActionForm?

On a side note, with the ValidatorForm, you also have to define an
input="/SomeAction.do" inside of your <action..> tag so struts knows where
to forward to if there is an error. The input can also refer to a jsp page
or a tiles def.

<action path="/HotelSave" type="hotel.HotelSaveAction" name="HotelForm"
validate="true" scope="request" input="hotelEdit">
     <forward name="hotelDisplay" path="hotelDisplay" redirect="false" />
</action>

-ET