I'm not sure if this is your problem, but do you have the tld directive in your jsp?

<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld" prefix="bean" %>

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Vandalay [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 1:43 PM
To: Struts Mailing List
Subject: Cannot retrieve definition for form bean null

Hello everyone,

I am trying to write a very simple Struts application that simply displays a JSP using
bean:message to retrieve values for my field labels and buttons from a ResourceBundle.
Pretty straight forward, but I am getting the following error:

     [exec] javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot retrieve definition for form
bean null

The message seems to imply that Struts is trying to access a bean whose name is "null"
but I don't know what bean that would be as I have no beans referenced on my JSP. I am
only trying to invoke the logic contained within the struts-bean.tld.

The logic flow is the user signs-into the application and is then forwarded to
"simplePage.jsp". I used a ForwardAction to navigate from the logon page (after a
successful login). But I never reach "simplePage.jsp" due to the above mentioned error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I have in my struts_config.xml:

<struts-config>

<form-beans>

<form-bean name="simpleForm" type="com.company.simpleForm"/>

<form-bean name="logonForm" type="com.company.LogonForm"/>

</form-beans>

<global-forwards type="org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward">

<forward name="logoff" path="/Logoff.do"/>

<forward name="logon" path="/Logon.do"/>

<forward name="welcome" path="/Welcome.do"/>

</global-forwards>

<action-mappings>

<action path="/Welcome" type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction"
parameter="Welcome.jsp"/>

<action path="/Logon" type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction"
parameter="Logon.jsp"/>

<action path="/LogonSubmit" type="com.company.LogonAction" name="logonForm"
scope="request" validate="true" input="Logon.jsp">

<forward name="success" path="simplePage.jsp"/>

</action>

<action path="/Logoff" type="LogoffAction">

<forward name="success" path="Welcome.jsp"/>

</action>

<action path="/simplePage" type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction"
parameter="simplePage.jsp"/>

</action-mappings>

</struts-config>

Here is my JSP:

<%@ page language="java" %>

<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>

<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld" prefix="bean" %>

<head>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="include/format.css" type="text/css"/>

</head>

<title>

<bean:message key="simplePage.title"/>

</title>