Unfortunately, there were some changes made in Torque between the
writing of the book and the release.  If you use the examples in the
book with the version of Torque in the book, you're OK.  If you want to
use the latest and greatest version of Torque, readers have contributed
some errata to the strutskickstart.com site detailing the changes you
have to make.

As for Torque itself, it's pretty amazing to me.  I love the fact that
if I need to refactor the database for some reason, I can just edit the
XML schema description and the mapping objects automagically reconfigure
themselves after a new ant build.  I wouldn't depend on it
performance-wise for a million transaction an hour site, but for the
bread-and-butter data mining and moderate traffic sites, I think it can
save a ton of development time.  The only real trick is to make sure you
keep the Torque-specific stuff abstracted away (if you're careful, you
can even use the Torque objects in Actions that way, and save a layer.)

James