I give a sample is use when I need to populate an view :

I got an ActionForm :

public class StudentForm extends ActionForm {

private String formationSelected = "Analyste Programmeur";

private Collection formationList = null;

private Collection formationListID = null;

private Collection groupList = null;

private Collection groupListID = null;

private String group = "cycle 1a";

/**

* Get the formationList.

* @return Collection.

*/

public Collection getFormationList () {

formationList = Formation.getFormations();

return formationList;

}

/**

* Get the formationListID.

* @return Collection.

*/

public Collection getFormationListID () {

formationListID = Formation.getFormationsID();

return formationListID;

}

/**

* Get the groupList.

* @return Collection.

*/

public Collection getGroupList () {

groupList = Groupe.getGroupsOfStudent();

return groupList;

}

/**

* Get the groupList.

* @return Collection.

*/

public Collection getGroupListID () {

groupListID = Groupe.getGroupID();

return groupListID;

}

..

I got an viewstudent action :

public ActionForward execute(

ActionMapping mapping,

ActionForm form,

HttpServletRequest request,

HttpServletResponse response)

throws Exception {

Collection students = null;

StudentForm studentForm = (StudentForm) form;

students = getStudents ();

session.setAttribute("students", students);

return mapping.findForward("viewstudent");

}

/**

* Get all students.

*/

protected ArrayList getStudents () {

return Student.getStudents();

}

And my jsp view for studentview is :

<%@ page session="true" %>
<%@ page import="org.apache.taglibs.display.test.TestList,
                 org.apache.taglibs.display.test.ListHolder,
                 java.util.List"%>
<%@ taglib uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/display"; prefix="display"
%>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-menu.tld" prefix="menu"%>

    <head>
    </head>

  <script language="JavaScript1.2" src="./scripts/coolmenus3.js">
  </script>
  <script src="./scripts/coolmenu-config.js">
</script>

<menu:useMenuDisplayer name="CoolMenu"

             bundle="org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE">

    <menu:displayMenu name="ToDoListMenuFile"/>
    <menu:displayMenu name="ToDoListMenuEdit"/>
    <menu:displayMenu name="CaseDetailMenuCase"/>
</menu:useMenuDisplayer>

<display:table width="85%"align="left"
              name="students"
              scope="session"
              pagesize="5"
              requestURI="/ibmss/form/viewstudent.jsp"
              export="true"
              decorator="org.apache.taglibs.display.test.Wrapper">

  <display:column property="idPersonne" title="ID"
                  href="/ibmss/getstudent.do"
                  paramId="idPersonne"
                  paramProperty="idPersonne"  />
  <display:column property="name" title="Nom"/>
  <display:column property="firstName" title="Prénom"/>
  <display:column property="adress" title="Adresse"/>
  <display:column property="city" title="Ville"/>
  <display:column property="npa" title="Npa"/>
  <display:column property="phoneNumber" title="Telephone"/>
  <display:column property="email" title="Email" autolink="true"/>
  <display:column property="insuranceName" title="Assurance"/>
  <display:column property="insuranceNumber" title="No assure"/>
  <display:column property="formationSelected" title="Formation"/>
  <display:column property="group" title="Groupe"/>
</display:table>

The getstudent action serve me to get

the student an user who whant to edit him

I got an getstudentaction who create a new

studentform and populate this form with

the data of the choosen student previously

selected.

I hope this can help you.

--

Alexandre Jaquet