On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Davor Cengija wrote:

> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:09:53 +0100
> From: Davor Cengija <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [OT] Java method size limitations
>
> Becky Norum wrote:
>
> > This is FYI - it was an issue that came up when someone (not me!) had an
> > 8500 line Java source file.  He got a "code too large for try statement"
> > exception during compilation, which puzzled even some long term Java
> > programmers.
> >
> > Apparently, there is an upper limit of 64K (compiled) on java methods.
> > (see
> >
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/ClassFile.doc.html#154)
> >
> > The Java method bytecode code length is defined as an int (32-bit), but
> > exception start/end blocks are defined by shorts (16-bit).  This limits
> > the method length to 2^16=64K.
> >
> > Hopefully, noone on this list will ever write a class that large, but in
> > case you ever run across this..
> >

> I had that problem in a compiled JSP page (therefore, in the created
> servlet): a table with 150 rows and 8 <bean:write /> columns (some
> financial data).
>
> The solution was to split the table into 3 files and in the first one just
> included the second and the third using <jsp:include />. Now it works just
> fine.

You might also be assisted by updated JSP page compilers that do not put
the entire page into a single method.  For example, the Jasper2 compiler
in Tomcat 4.1.18 takes care of this -- it splits your page into multiple
methods as long as you are not using scriptlets.  (As an extra added
benefit, the compiled pages run *much* faster than older Tomcat versions
also :-).

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Craig