I am still having the following two problems:

Problems:
1. request.getAttribute("page") is returning null and I cannot use the
action form methods for inside this class even though it is being passed in.
   It does work with return new ActionForward("/itemConfig_6.jsp") hard
coded.
2. My form field values are filled in except the errors are not being
displayed an the page anymore.

Questions:
1. How do I access a form field value from within ItemConfigAction?
2. How do I send the ActionErrors back to the page for display?

Current inadequate solution:
I added a similar hidden field to each page as follows:
<input value="itemConfig_36.jsp" name="page" type="hidden"/>

I also moved my validation to
   public ActionForward perform(ActionMapping mapping,
                                 ActionForm form,
                                 HttpServletRequest request,
                                 HttpServletResponse response)
        throws IOException, ServletException {
        errors = form.validate(mapping,request);
        if(errors.empty()) {
          // Forward control to the specified success URI
          return (mapping.findForward("success"));
        } else {
          return new ActionForward("/"+request.getAttribute("page"));
        }
    }

Thank you for your time,

Jason Long - CEO and Chief Software Engineer
Supernova Software - supernovasoftware.com
BS Physics, MS  Chemical Engineering