>> seem to me the container should check the timestamp of the war
>> against the folder or something and if it is newer, redeploy it.
>> This also causes issues with files that were removed from the war,
>> which are now trash files and left in the deployed app.

One a container redeploys your war it will clean out the old deploy. So
unless your 'trash files' are still in the new war it will not get
redeployed.
Also if you are having struts-config management issues but dont want to use
xdoclet. It is possible to separate out the files on ur own. Just use XML
include statements within the master file to bring it all together. There's
are several article that talk about this (One by Chuck Cavaness is 'Seven
Lessons from the Trenches [Oct 30, 2002 - OnJava.com]).
-Tim