Two other estimate tips:

1. Give your estimate using a range (preferably one that means something - e.g. soonest to latest around some likely date; you could get fancy and use standard deviations and ...)

2. Don't give overly precise estimates, for example
< 10 days, use days
< 6 weeks, use weeks
<= 5 months, use months
> 5 months && < 12 months, use quarters

Just some stuff from Steve McConnell's work and also the Pragmatic Programmers (I think, don't have references handy...).

--Tim

Jeff Smith wrote:
What? You don't increment the units as well?

If I am looking for a safe estimate and a developer tells me 2 weeks, I
automatically plan for 4 months. In all my years of experience I have NEVER
gone over estimate with this method and I have been only been over by more
than 20% 3 times in about 80 projects.

Sad but true.

Jefficus