Niesen, Nathan wrote:

I basically have the same questions. I've been searching the user docs and
mailing lists trying to get a handle on what modules were intended to do,
what modules can and can't do, and how I can use modules to improve my
application framework. It appears to me that the modules feature opened up a
whole can-o-design-worms and they're still wiggling. I can't find anything
that clearly defines intended usage of modules or the limitations of
modules; especially in regards to using "resources" outside of a modules
sub-directory.

In addition to John's questions, I have the following question:

1) How can I use tiles/templates to assemble a page in one module from
reusable "components/pages" in one or more other modules? For example: I
have pages in modules B, C, and D, that all want to pull in a menu page from
my default module as well as a reusable page from module A.

Tiles config file consider the url as absolute to the application. So, simply specify the absolute URL of your layout, page or tile.
The tiles-documentation.war use 3 modules. You can check it for examples.

Cedric

Other issues with modules:

1) Not all tags (html:img in particular) use the pagePattern or
forwardPattern attributes from the controller. If I want to use an image in
my header.jsp, the image file has to be physically located in each module or
I get a broken link.

2) The pagePattern and forwardPattern are defined on the controller which
means all tag or forward URLs for the module will be mapped to the same
context relative URL. I think it would be more flexible if you simply
specified the pattern as part of the URL attribute for the tag or forward.
For example: <html:img alt="get an image from the default module"
page="$P/header.gif"/> and <html:img alt="get an image from the current
module" page="$M$P/module.gif"/>

3) The examples don't effectively demonstrate the effects that the
contextRelative, inputForward, pagePattern, and forwardPattern attributes
have on the page, forward, action, and href attributes.

4) The examples only show how to switch from one self-contained module to
another. They don't demonstrate how to combine resources/pages from multiple
modules into a single page via either includes or tiles/templates.

Thanks, Nathan.