Plus all QA work each of us does by testing struts in different environments.

Igor,

In our experience, struts will decrease initial productivity due to the learning
curve. However, this will be time well spent, assuming you will be getting
maintainable application, plus struts is widely used, so there is a good chance you
will be able to find talent if needed.

Re. individual components. Start with well defined directory structure for your
source, images, etc. and ant based build script. Keep adding functionality as you
feel that there is a need for it. (E.g.: need to authenticate users. Before
implementing your own authentication search the archives, you will find that a lot
of problems were already discussed and solved)

Mark.

David Graham wrote:

> I don't have real numbers but thousands of hours of work from many highly
> paid software engineers has gone into Struts.  Say an average developer gets
> $50/hour * 2000 hours (probably low) = $100,000.
>
> Does your company or your clients want to pay that much to develop their own
> framework?
>
> David
>
> >From: Igor Shabalov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Do Struts increase developer productivity?
> >Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:00:00 -0800
> >

> >       Hello, all!
> >       Do anybody have any data how using Struts can increase (or decrease)
> >developer productivity. I mean, for example, â??using Strutsâ?? can save up
> >to xx% of development cost. Or save up to xx% of development effort (in
> >terms of number of lines of code) etc.
> >       And, if Struts really help, what portion of struts technolody helps more
> >â?? tag libraries, controller with actions, tiles or anything else.    I
> >understand that depends too much from specific project â?? but I need just
> >raff estimations (or wild speculations)
> >
> >       Thank at advance,
> >       Igor.
> >

> >--
> >Igor Shabalov
> >Director of Engineering
> >Exadel Inc.
> >http://www.exadel.com

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does not
waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.