Hi Brandon. I thought I'd watch the responses to this thread before weighing
in with an opinion. I was interested to note that none of the responses
appear to have come from hiring managers. So I thought you might benefit
from an opinion on that side of the debate.

In my career I have hired over 100 different developers on a wide number of
projects. And in my experience, the paper qualifications only matter in the
first 3-5 years after school. Once you have those first few projects under
your belt, it is your experience that matters, far more than your formal
training. (In other words, it takes from 3-5 years of experience to catch up
to the pack.)

Although it is hard to generalize about companies and employers (since they
are all run by people, and people vary widely) I can say that in general
terms, the more liberal hiring policies tend to be in the smaller and more
"progressively" managed organizations. Larger, more institutional employers
have a much more formalized, and rigid hiring practice. The first screening
of resumes in such places tends to be done by professional HR people, who
are generally only qualified to screen for check-list items. (The job says
A, B and C are required. Here's a fabulous resume with A, B, D, E, F and J
thru N. But he's missing C. Reject.)

So here are a couple of really important decisions for you to consider:
1) Do you prefer the mayhem of start-ups and small companies to the security
of large institutional employers?
2) Do you already have, or can you be reasonably confident in getting those
first few years of experience?
If you said "yes" to both of those, you may be able to successfully avoid
the school thing. If you said "No" to either one, school might be a safer
bet.

For what it's worth, in the last company I ran, the guy I promoted to Chief
Architect did not have a degree of any kind. He was primarily self-taught.
But he got the job because he was dedicated, articulate, responsible and
clearly understood the technology and the needs of the company. In my book,
those are far more valuable than 4 years of sleeping through lectures.

Jefficus