Jeff,

The simple answer to your question (asumming the transform is to html) is
that transformations are part of the view.  I use only xml and xslt for the
client side out put in my struts app.  What happens is that you replace all
the jsps with xslt stylesheets and an xslt processor (servlet), and the
majority of your model is replaced with DTDs or Schema.  I use the
ActionForms still with the controller to gain any information from user
input, but all of my business logic will return xml documents or text to the
Action classes, that are then forwarded to the xslt processor servlet.

If you treat the legacy app as part of the view (assuming this is the
equivilent of the xslt servlet) the it makes it easier to see this.

I would advise against manipulating a xml doc into beans.  It's very
complicated with complex DTDs or Schemas, and just addes in more complexity
to your system (not to mention a boat load more places where things can go
wrong).

If you need any more info, I can help you out with most xml, xsl xslt
problems.

Cheers

Simon