request does not have a getProperty as far as I can see, so do you mean
getParameter()?

In that case, the easy way to handle this is to get the value into the
action form (which happens automatically if the action form has a matching
property) and then populate the html:hidden from the action form (which is
also automatic, if you are on the same form).

Cheers,
Krishna