But this makes complete sense, in a sick way. In a MS environment, portability probably isn't as big a concern,

It's no concern at all because you have nothing to port to.

and while there are certainly other reasons to use MVC, it strikes me that the biggest is to maintain abstractions between the various layers.

If you're a MS shop, you probably have SQL server, ASP and IIS -- and MS has little interest in making it easy to change this. So why spend time building up a MVC framework if you know that you're pretty much married to certain technologies?

I don't see any connection between MVC and vendor lock in. Even if you were an MS shop you still need layers to make the app. maintainable.

David

No thanks.

Erik