Ted,

Thanks for the detailed info on .NET ports. Keep us posted on how you like Maverick! I've downloaded the docs and code and I'll be taking a look over the next few months. Not too sure what I think yet.

Aaron

Ted Husted wrote:

> I am curious if anyone is aware of an MVC-type framework for .NET. I
> am  NOT looking for a Struts port to .NET. I started doing a little
> research, searching for things like "Best Practices"  or ".NET
> Patterns"  etc. I found almost nothing... no best practices guides.
> Not even a single recommendation about builing Object-based backend
> systems. In fact, most books I've read on ASP.NET and .NET in general
> have focused on database access code directly in the ASPX page
> itself....(in the  "Code Behind" section).

I'm in a similar boat. The department I'm working with is fairly far along (iteration 10 of 17) with a deployment of a application using Struts. Meanwhile, other departments in the enterprise are being put on .NET for new development. At some point, we may have to jump on the bandwagon and migrate our application too.

Since we heard this train coming, we've been watching the .NET ports of some of our favorite components:

Mavnet - Production/stable (final release 15/may/03).
  http://mavnet.sourceforge.net/

NVelocity - Production/stable (version 0.4 shipped 10/jan/03).
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvelocity

NHibernate - Alpha - Good start, but now awaiting release Hibernate 2 (RC2 - 09/may/03).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nhibernate

NUnit - Production/Stable - 2.0 02/oct/02 - new beta in active development
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nunit/

Log4Net - Production/Stable - 1.1.1 13/apr/02, 1.2 B7 06/may/03
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/log4net/

NAnt - Beta - 0.8.2 23/apr/03
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant/

NLucene - Beta - Shipped b2 16/jul/02, inactive since.
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/nlucene

I toyed with the idea of porting Struts to .NET, but decided to give Maverick a fair shake first. (Why reinvent the wheel?) Maverick is very Struts-like, and my stuff should plug right in.

My project's current iteration is scheduled to ship at the end of the month, at which point we're migrating to the Java Maverick (simply to put us in a better position for a jump to the .NET Maverick).

This will be a bit of fun for me, since there are some things available in Struts that are not available in Maverick. But not so many, and most are already based on Commons packages. So, this will be a very nice proof-of-concept in adapting Struts-bred Commons pasckages, like the Validator, to another framework.

This is my primary development contract now, but I have others for training and such that still use Struts, so I'll be using Maverick and Struts side-by-side for awhile.

-Ted.

Aaron Longwell wrote:

I hope I don't start a huge debate....

with that intro, here goes.

I am a freelance web developer. I've been struggling lately with not being able to use the Struts framework on ALL projects. Specifically, I do work with a number of Microsoft Devotees. For several sites, this has meant developing in old ASP.... like playing with Duplos compared to Struts.

I have been spending some time learning the .NET framework. So far it looks great... er, the features that look like Java look great. But then, why wouldn't I just use the more open, polished, community-oriented, original... Java? So now to the point... I don't have a choice for some projects... I have to use .NET.

I am curious if anyone is aware of an MVC-type framework for .NET. I am NOT looking for a Struts port to .NET. I started doing a little research, searching for things like "Best Practices" or ".NET Patterns" etc. I found almost nothing... no best practices guides. Not even a single recommendation about builing Object-based backend systems. In fact, most books I've read on ASP.NET and .NET in general have focused on database access code directly in the ASPX page itself....(in the "Code Behind" section).

Am I:

1) Naive to not notice that Java Enterprise developers are light-years ahead of MS developers in terms of programming practices, design patterns, and role separation?

2) Mistaken? There really are MVC frameworks in .NET... but they are all internal... and no community oriented projects exist.

Thanks for the input.

Aaron Longwell