I would disagree with having fine-grained action
forms.

You will run into problems by splitting them apart for
a logicial entity.

This is especially true if you have more than one
"type".  JSP re-use is not a problem since this is
done by reflection.  However form-bean re-use will
cause problems when you try and access some property
of the base "type" but it isn't there and so you have
some ugly casting.  Using the validator solves a lot
of this problem.

The other advantage of coarse-grained is that you
could probably write some XDoclet to help with this.
Not great to have the back-end know about the
front-end, but this should be minimal and with
coarse-grained it won't know about the screens.
Haven't done this, but wherever you need to know about
the structure of the screens you could have a subclass
from the XDoclet generated class.

sandeep