You are not alone is questioning the solutions to the view problem.

This is an interesting problem and will really challenge the open source
community to solve it.  Right now, everyone has an opinion, no one has a
real solution, each individual users needs are limited (they tend to solve
their particular needs and move on) and the problem is EXCEPTIONALLY
complex.

Part of the problem is that there are so many ways (none of which are
particularly good compared to .NET) to paint pages in Java land.  JSF is
vapor and has a limited window of opportunity and requires REAL industry
support to succeed before the world moves past it.  .NET view technology
looks really tempting from the outside and there are statistics which
support that it enhances developer productivity (this will have a greater
importance as time passes).

The individual with the most influence in the space is Craig, which is why
JSF is seen as an overall solution.  Unfortunately, many in the community
disagree with him and with JSF.  I wish, I agreed that JSF was the answer
and that if we all jumped on the JSF bandwagon, the industry could move past
this problem, we could have great IDE's for view creation, etc.

Anyway, this is a real challenge facing the community with very strong
pressure being applied by MS.

Edgar