> Part of the problem is that there are so many ways (none of which are
> particularly good compared to .NET) to paint pages in Java land.  JSF is
> vapor and has a limited window of opportunity and requires REAL industry
> support to succeed before the world moves past it.  .NET view technology
> looks really tempting from the outside and there are statistics which
> support that it enhances developer productivity (this will have a greater
> importance as time passes).

When I started with webapps, I looked around what frameworks are available and
who they help in moving ahead.
Soon I was convinced about struts, but the different template packages didn't
convince me at all. Following the discussion about white and black
frameworks, I made up my mind to use something like tiles (and for so
treating the webapp as black framework).
But the homepage of the creator is last updated last year, the doc about
"advanced tiles" has nearly the same timestamp and big parts classified as
"outdated".
Looking around in discussion-areas tiles doesn't play a big role - so I
stumbled.

Another big point is the big vacuum around the model (from MVC).

But at all the time, I didn't found a problem or question where .NET was the
answer. Who ever read the background of the jpetstore competition can not
(IMHO) find a good word about .NET

So I think, the problem is to bring the good pieces together to build a
complete framework to start with.
For my opinion - the java comunity already has good solutions, that don't have
to fear .NET at all.

cheers Reinhard