Looks like you are doing the same thing I am just in a slightly different manner.  I
prepopulate default values for my action form in my action class, including an
ArrayList named statusList to hold dropdown values, rather than using a separate
request attribute..that being the only difference that I can see.

My statusList ArrayList hold an array of a simple "Status" class that defines an "id"
and "value" attribute.  One of my action form attributes is "statusId" and is the
value I prepopulate in my action calss and wish to be selected when my form is
displayed.

The object 'assocatedSalespeople" that your  html:option collection param is referring
to is supposed to be a jsp scripting variable...I'm assuming you've set this elsewhere
in your jsp's code?