From: David G. Friedman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 9:42 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: login request

Dear Andy,

I'm doing the same thing you suggest.  My approach is
to extend the base Action (or any type of Action) class
by adding a functon 'checkLogin'.  It takes the 'request'
as the argument, checks the session for a User bean, and
throws an exception if the bean is missing or if the ID
number on the bean is zero/unset.  In my execute() method
I make my first line 'checkLogin(request)' and it handles
my authentication.

If you try this approach, keep in mind I'm using Struts
v1.1 final so I can use exceptions.

Tonight I'm going to try switching it to an interface so
I can use it to extend any action type by using 3 lines
(and without sub-classing):

1. import com.mycompany.auth.LoginCheck;
2. public class MyAction extends Action implements LoginCheck
3. checkLogin(request) <--- 1st line from within the execute
or DispatchAction, or LookupDispatchAction method, etc.

Regards,
David