Thank you ...

I would liked to have used a filter as this was my first idea, however my
clients app must be deployed onto their raq550 server which supports only
tomcat 3. I believe only tomcat 4 supports filters(or the servlet spec it
uses)? I believe i will follow davids example and extend the base action
class as this seems to be my only option. This dosnt seem as elegent as a
filter but does seems to be the most elegent alternative thanks david : ),
unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Most helpful all....thanks again

Andy