When I try adding it, I get a JSP compiler error - "Attribute accesskey
invalid according to the specified TLD."

I can only suggest that you still have an old copy of struts.jar. Try
starting with a fresh copy of struts-blank.war from the Struts 1.1
distribution and try that.

Steve
http://www.ninsky.com/struts/