I've used a text editor, visual slick edit, forte (inc sun one studio,
and netbeans) and now eclipse.  I would highly recommend eclipse for
doing web apps (I cant speak too j2ee dev).  I would suggest getting it
and the "Eclipse in action" book.  Either read the book at the book
store or buy it then post it on half.  I has some great stuff if you are
getting started with Eclipse, but its not stuff you are going to forget
and need to look up again.

I've got it with Tomcat and the Sysdeo plugin & Struts console - lets me
debug servlets, issues reloads automatically, etc...  Works for me.  Of
course the last IDE I paid for was Slick Edit (in more ways than one) so
maybe the high end dev tool have something I am missing!

Initially my big draw to Eclipse was the SWT it used instead of Swing.
It was just as nice and responsive as a native app (something forte
always pissed me off about - I always felt like I was walking through
water with it).

Ah well