Programming jakarta struts is a nice introduction to webapp development in general and struts development too. The only problem is as soon as you want to do anything vaguely useful there's no detail. Its not a criticism of the book as such just that its scope is different to these sorts of problems.

There's and indexedListProperty attribute in validator for the purpose of which you speak, and it works although not for the javascript generation.

The array of form elements aren't generated in the javascript, but the js itself does handle indexed properties.. for example if you hard code myobj[0].myproperty in validator it works. So the only piece of the validator puzzle thats missing is generating the js array of indexed form elements .. If i'm not making any sense, have a before and after look at the javascript.

I think fixing the validator to generate indexed elements would be the fastest way of dealing with this, or add this to bugzilla. A hack could be to just layer some most js onto the page.

If you using the html:errors stuff and cant get it to spit them out, you could try bean:messages and spit out the errors like that, they are there (the errors) they're just hiding.

<logic:messagesPresent>
<pre>
        <bean:write name="error"/>
<pre>
</logic:messagesPresent>

rather than

<pre>
</pre>

Cheers Mark

Hello,
I'm using struts 1.1.  I thought this would be
relatively simple, but I can't figure it out.  I've
checked my book "Programming Jakarta Struts" and
searched the archives.  All got from the archives is a
bunch of people asking this same question, but NO

Basically I have a form bean which has some properties
that are collections (Vectors) of other form beans
(indexed properties of collections).  These nested
form beans also need to be validated.  The page
displays fine, and upon submission, all the data is
populated correctly in the form (nested props and
all).  However, the validator just totally ignores the
nested beans.
What do I need to do in my validations.xml to get it
to validate nested form beans?  I've tried the
following (totally made it up)...

<field property="my_collection_property"
indexedListProperty="form_bean_name">

.. and that "form_bean_name" is the name of another
form entry in my validation.xml.

Anybody know where I'm going wrong? Thank you!