Maybe you could use http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Germuska [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 12:23 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Lightweight helper libraries for reporting?

David:

The main reason I'm not ready to use displaytag is because I need to
generate reports for more than just HTML output; my users will have
the choice to get a delimited file as well, or instead of HTML, and
they'll have the option to get the report mailed to them as well as
generated while-they-wait.  I know that displaytag has some support
for export files, but I'm figuring it's more work than it's worth to
use a JSP tag library for asynchronous generation of a CSV file sent
as an email attachment.

My design is to have a model-level report returned from a report
service to a controller which can then send the report to various
renderers.  I just haven't yet written classes to deal with common
report functions like grouping and totalling, and it seems like
something that would be generally useful.

I think displaytag is pretty impressive, and totally appropriate for
a model where the web page is the primary output form.  I actually
find the decorator model a little frustrating, as it requires writing
and compiling code for view things which I'd prefer to have more
flexibly changeable in a JSP (at least it did a year ago when I used
it last) -- I'm pretty sure I had to compile a date format into a
column decorator; what happens when the client decides they want that
to change?  I have to recompile the class?  Or find someplace other
than displaytag to set a runtime property for the date format; that
seems awkward.

I think instead of a single "table" tag, it would be nice to have a
"table" tag which defined beans and made them available to nested
tags for various purposes, like many Struts tags do (html:messages,
logic:iterate, etc).  This might be hard to do and still achieve
everything that displaytag does, but if I were really motivated, I'd
look at adapting displaytag to a model more like that...

Joe

At 22:59 -0400 9/19/03, David G Friedman wrote:
>Joe,
>
>I've been planning on using the displaytag library for that stuff when
I get
>to it next week.  Why won't the decorator classes work for you to
perform
>summations of rows, groups, and so forth?  I'm wondering why it won't
work
>for you in case the same reasons might apply to my application....
>
>For reference, an example of the decorators for summations of groups
and
>rows is here:
>http://edhill.its.uiowa.edu/display-examples/example-callbacks.jsp
>
>With their Java decorator class code example code here:
>http://edhill.its.uiowa.edu/display-examples/TotalWrapper.java.txt

Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
        --Jaron Lanier