--- Mark Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Godfrey
>
> I think what folks are trying to say is that the SQL stuff is separate
> to the struts stuff, and this is kind of what its about. There is a
> data source definition that confuses the hell out of people new to
> struts as it seems to implicitly suggest that it should be used.
>
> However most of the folks advise against its use as it encourages
> breaking with MVC.. That said, there are examples in the documentation
> and if you're used to quick dirty SQL in html pages then using struts
> even when breaking MVC is still progress.
>
> You'll want some JDBC references and google will find you some.
>
> when you've got the hang of doing SQL (JDBC) stuff in your struts
> flavored webapp. I really dont know why folks get so snobby about
> people breaking with MVC to get started..

I wouldn't describe the responses as "snobby".  The question was confusing
because Struts has nothing to do with SQL Server or database access in
general.  You can code JDBC in Struts actions just like a normal Servlet
app.  There is no "Struts way" to do database access.

> The funny thing is its the
> same folks recommending JSTL which have SQL as part of the lib.

That's like saying you shouldn't use JSP because it lets you create
confusing scriptlets.  You don't have to use the JSTL's sql tags just like
you don't have to use JSP scriptlets for them to both be good
technologies.

David