Chris - you'll be glad to know the browser command line has been fixed for the
production version.  The other issues I'll take off-line with you

Regards

Duncan Mills

From: Christian Bollmeyer
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: IDE

Am Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2003 16:43 schrieb Duncan Mills:

Oracle JDev 10g has quickly become my favorite Struts IDE,
even running under Linux quite alright at home though this is
not a supported platform yet. That is, if you steer clear from
the Metal L&F and can live with the fact that 10g always
forgets the browser command line (even if you manually
edit the configuration file, don't remember how it's called
now). Otherwise, it's great, and considering Struts support,
it's something like Struts Studio++, though I usually don't
use the integrated modelers and do the UML work with
Poseidon UML 2.0 at home. Still, probably the best
allround Java IDE around.

Considering 'free': in my understanding, JDev is free
for download (well...) and using it for an unlimited
evaluation period. For production use, you must
license it. That's ok, I think. Comes the price tag:
IIRC, JDev 9i was sold for $ 995, including support.
How will it be with 10g in this direction? Not that
I'm directly affected, as we're Oracle Alliance
partners and get the whole range of Oracle
software anyway, but the price tag for the final
version of 10g would still be interesting. Generally,
it really would be helpful if Oracle could just say:
using our products costs this per named user
and that per CPU, and you get an x% rebate for
ASFU licenses. But if Oracle says 'free', it should
really be 'free' in the common understanding of the
term, and not: free to download (never got charged
for just downloading anything, IIRC) and evaluation.
So better say: JDev costs $ xxxx, but we grant
you a free, unlimited evalutation license period.
This way round :-)

Finally, I'll misuse the list for some JDev-related
problem I couldn't find any solution for neither at
OTN nor by consulting orionserver.com (noting
that OTN searches are our last resort, as even
UltraSearch seems to be always presenting
the *least* relevant topics first, with a special
knack for early 8.1.5 documentation). The
problem is that we are currently porting a
subproject from Sun ONE to JDev. Everything
went well, but we still have a Bean factory that's
accessed via JNDI. The general idea is that
my developers should be able to to not just
write their code in JDev, but also make use
of its 'Run' or 'Debug' features. This means,
everything has to run in the integrated OC4J
container, of course.  So my question is:
how do you tell OC4J about additional
JNDI resources available that are not
DataSources (in Sun ONE | Tomcat, you do
this via server.xml). We already found out that
<appname>-oc4j-app.xml seems to be part
of the solution, but adding the fitting
<resource provider> entries there only led to
'type unknown' JNDI errors in the JSP stack
trace. Yes, we even added everything feasible
to /lib and system classpath. Do you possibly
know a solution? Currently, the application
still runs in Tomcat, and we debug it via
log4j, ie. the 'old way'. Did cost us 3
man-days already, btw.

-- Chris