I am working in an environment where we are mixing the two.

My advice to you is to *not* do it. Pick one and use it as it was
intended to be used.

I personally prefer iBATIS. It is very simple; it plays well with
existing databases; it allows you the flexibility, commodity and
performance tuning of sql; it provides object wrappers for your data.
All while staying in your DAO and out of your application.

>From my experience, if you are using hibernate, you write hibernate
applications, not java applications that use hibernate - even if you try
to wrap it so that it is not used directly. Trust me, we did. If you are
willing to accept that, hibernate may work for you.

Some other factors to consider:
 - How many developers know hql vs sql?
 - How much time will it take for a new person to learn the
idiosyncrasies of the tool (and they both have them)?

Larry

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/16/03 9:40 AM >>>
We're needing to roll out DAO and ORM in our webapp... been evaluating
hibernate and it looks awesome, but we'd like to insulate our app from
that,
has anyone tried using iBatis' DAO layer then plugging hibernate
underneath
that?
-David