Ok so if I chose to use solely hibernate would there be anything wrong with
putting code like this into my action?:

factory =
(SessionFactory)request.getSession().getServletContext().getAttribute(Hibern
atePlugIn.SESSION_FACTORY_KEY);

session = factory.openSession();

Transaction tx = session.beginTransaction();

myProspect = (Prospect)session.get(Prospect.class, id);

tx.commit();

session.close();

Ultimately I'll have to build some kind of a util class to handle giving me
sessions etc.. but in the short term for testing is this proper?

Thanks,

David