From: Bryce Fischer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 7:01 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cactus vs StrutsTestCase

I agree.

There are two frameworks I've seen to test struts based web stuff. The
easiest to use is StrutsTestCase (the other is mockrunner). It can use both
a Mock container as well as Cactus. I haven't gotten around to using the
CactusTestCase, as I do most of my unit testing without the overhead of the
container (to me, that's for integration testing). The Mock container does a
good job I feel.

I do have an EJB layer, but I use an interface for my Struts delegate
methods. This allows me to send a Mock'ed object of my interface to my
Struts Action class to test, without having to go through the EJB stuff (For
EJB stuff, I'm using MockEJB, but that's a different email).

Nice thing about using Mocks for my delegate classes, is that I can simulate
lots of different things. I can tell it to pass anything back to the Action
servlet, including throwing exceptions. This allows me to make sure my
Action Servlets are handling all kinds of situations.

HTH

> Hi, Ashikuzzaman£¡
>
>       I use StrutsTestCase to test my struts-based web tier action.
Because
> StrutsTestCase use mock object to mock the container. So you needn't
> start your container(tomcat or jboss) to test your action class. It's a
very fast way to test.
>       However, StrutsTestCase can not mock EJB call. So if your web
> application contains EJB you should use cactus, which can start jboss
automatically to test your code, or you use the MockEJB to mock your ejb
call.

--
Bryce Fischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>