This is an interesting thing. Here is the way to avoid Struts calls  validate method
on ActionForm

This one Struts framework will NOT call validate method on ActionForm

While this one does

The only difference is if you do have property, Struts adds name="your_data". While if
you don't have property set, Struts add name="org.apache.struts.taglib.html.CANCEL".

Why these make the difference?????

Jiin-Her Lu
(816) 926-2145

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/29/04 05:45PM >>>
The Struts Validator provides a mechanism to deal with Cancel buttons. A
flag is set in the onclick method for the cancel button in the jsp page. The
validate methods check this flag and if it is set, they skip validation and
just return true.

If you're not using the Struts Validator, maybe you could try mimicking this
behavior in your validate method ??

Brian Barnett