This may not go anywhere - but it might, so please bear with me...

I have spent a few hours (mostly because I suck at Perl) and wrote a couple of
scripts to try to connect our current git based translation system for the
website with Transifex.

There's a new resource on Transifex that is called "about" and that contains
the strings of our landing page. For the website we currently have translations
to de_DE fr_FR es_ES it_IT nl_NL pl_PL ru_RU pt_PT fi_FI so these are the ones
that have been populated. The closer the translations were to the English
version, the better these imports will be. While eventually we can consider
other translations, right now I'm not asking for people to add more
translations!

If you would like to help me figure out if this is feasible and you speak
(doesn't matter at this point how fluently) one of these languages, you could
help me by logging into Transifex and cleaning up the translations of that
"about" resource. The biggest issue likely will be "translations" that are on
the wrong source string. Because of the way I extract these preliminary
translations from the existing translations, if the "grouping" of the HTML in
the translation doesn't match the grouping in English, things will go poorly. I
had to break up a couple of longer paragraphs in German to match the paragraph
breaks in English, for example.
Then tomorrow I'll try to pull these translations again and see if I can feed
them into git and push them from there into WordPress in order for them to show
up on our website.

This initial process is labor intensive on my part, that's why I did it for
only one of the pages. But once I have this part taken care of (= one time
investment of my time) the continued maintenance should be rather scriptable /
low touch. Which is REALLY the part that I want to test. Because if this does
work then we can do the website translations on Transifex as well, we can
translate announcements before they go out and overall create a much better
experience for our users.

Admittedly, the initial process is also a bit annoying for the translators, but
having done it for German it's actually not too bad because it is pretty
obvious what is happening (since you have the source strings right there on the
web site).
The main reason for this convoluted process is that I want to preserve as much
of the existing translation work as possible. It would have been MUCH easier
for me to throw away all the existing translations and start from scratch, but
that seemed entirely unreasonable towards the translators and all the efforts
they have already put into translating the website.

Anyway, if all this works out, maybe the AMAZING group of translators that we
already have for the application can help us keep the website better translated
as well.

If you have the time and want to help, respond here, tell us when you are happy
with the translation (and what language) and I'll take the experiment from
there. If you don't have a Transifex account, signing up is easy and then ask
to join the subsurface team - I or one of the language coordinators will add
you (there is a manual approval step involved - sorry).

For now, none of the automation is hooked up, so none of these translations
will show up on the website unless I process them here (just to avoid unmet
expectations) :-)

Thanks as always!

/D