Hi all,

It's a bit lonely here when no one comments on the work we do. There's a few hundred people on this mailing list (and with the recent bout of emails, three unsubscribed 🤣)

I liked the increased activity on the mailing list. So here is my feedback:

1. The download pages look good to me, I find the needed file more quickly than on the github page. But as an experienced user, I was also happy with the github page.

As an android user, I have taken the new release process as a reason to switch from the google play beta channel to the sideloaded apk. I noticed the following regarding the android-mobile-release:

2.  App runs well, on my Sony Xperia 5 II (XQ-AS52) with Android 12 and display with 21:9-format

3. First time I uninstalled the google play version, then updating worked by just downloading a newer apk. Very nice.

4. In a previous mobile version, there was an integrated GPS tracker, that I used. It is now not available anymore. I guess it is due to the fact that background services are difficult to implement. They often get killed on android due to battery saving restrictions.

For this point, the documentation needs some adaption. The user manual for the mobile version (https://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/subsurface-mobile-v3-user-manual/) does not advertise the GPS tracking feature, but the manual for the desktop version does (https://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/subsurface-4-user-manual/):

*Dive coordinates from a mobile device with GPS using Subsurface-Mobile.* Most smartphones have an integrated GPS, useful for collecting the coordinates of dive sites. The user manual for /Subsurface-mobile/ <https://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/subsurface-mobile-user-manual> (accessible from within that app) contains detailed instructions for performing the collection of GPS data and for managing, uploading and synchronising the coordinates with a dive log.

5. I am running Arch Linux and used the desktop version until it was removed from the repositories. Since then, I was using the appimage. I downloaded the newest appimage to test it, but it failed:

./Subsurface-v6.0.5059-CICD-release.AppImage
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
Could not find the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: xcb.

[1]    34490 IOT instruction (core dumped) QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland ./Subsurface-v6.0.5059-CICD-release.AppImage

I cloned the repo and built subsurface, and it runs without problems:

./subsurface --verbose
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
Subsurface v6.0.5059-local,
built with libdivecomputer v0.8.0-devel-Subsurface-NG (577b6940874c76cfc9b1adb0b0e51e26349b5a8f)
built with Qt Version 5.15.12, runtime from Qt Version 5.15.12
built with libgit2 1.7.1
"validateGL(): created OpenGLContext."
"validateGL(): obtained QOpenGLFunctions."
"validateGL(): detected OpenGL version 4.6."
QObject::connect(QQuickWindow, QDeclarativeGeoMap_QML_6): invalid nullptr parameter
DivePixmaps DPR: 1.000000 metrics: 24 16 sz_bigger: 40

Hoping the comments and testing is of some use. I am always happy to give feedback, if I experience problems, which is luckily rarely the case.

Thank you all for your work on this very helpful app for divers.
Simeon Geiger