    De : Patrick Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    À : sundial <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
    Date : samedi 19 septembre 1998 0:51
    Objet : Can anyone help with a Latin translation?

    I have been asked if I might be able to provide an English translation
of a
    Latin motto or inscription on an unusual mutifaced stone dial in a
Cheshire
    (UK) churchyard.

    The dial commemorates the death by drowning in 1717 of two brothers of
the
    Mainwaring family who, it seems, lived at the nearby Hall. It has two
dial
    faces.  On the SW face is the inscription:

    Carpere vel noli nostra vel ede tua

    Despite learning Latin many years ago I am unable to translate this and
    have no longer any dictionaries etc.  Can anyone help me?  It would be
much
    appreciated.

    Patrick Powers