Arthur Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've been playing in my garden, ...
>
> *** Does anybody know a relatively simple method for finding the
> latitude from observations of the sun over the course of several hours
> without recourse to tables and calculations? ***

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I admit that the problem sounds
somewhat contrived, but it seems to me to be in the spirit of dialing
in the age of quartz watches.  David Higgon's answer came closest to
what I was looking for.  It is nearly as transparent as the shortest
shadow method of finding North.  I may point out that one can find
North and the current declination if one observes the length of the
shadow, rather than just timing the direction.

In the present case, I actually want to mark the local noon at the
solstices and the equinox as well as verify my latitude, so I prefer
to use no other shadow-caster than the corner of the roof.
Furthermore, I don't have easy access to all the ground North of the
corner (Walls and such get in the way.), which rules out some
possibilities.  The recent posts on astrolabes led me to devise a
method involving stereographic projections.  The idea is to take three
shadow positions (in the minimalist spirit of a mathematician) and
project them stereographicly (using a separate diagram, also
constructed with pegs and strings).  I can then construct the circle
through the new points, find the closest and farthest points to my
origin, and convert these back to either points on the ground or
angles in my diagram.  The key is that it is easy to construct a
circle from three points, but hard to construct a hyperbola from 5.
Furthermore, I know how to utilize the knowledge of the position and
height of the gnomon in this scheme (which is why three point are
enough).  Alberto Nicelli described how to construct a hyperbola given
the foci, but the inverse problem is harder.

Anyway, I find the geometry of the method interesting.  If I get a
chance this weekend I'll see if it works in the field.  I suspect the
biggest errors will come from the fact that the ground is not exactly
flat and level.

Art Carlson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]