Hello Arthur !

There is a simple and practical way to draw a hyperbola .
I assume that these parameters are known:
2A = the constant difference between the distances of any point of the
hyperbola from the two foci ;
E =  the eccentricity of the hyperbola ( >1 ).

1) Draw the two foci : two points whose distance is 2A*E
2) Take a sufficiently long bar or a straightedge and fix one end of this
onto the focus of the other branch of the hyperbola you are going to draw ,
in such a way  that the bar is free to rotate around this focus.
3) Connect by a string ( whose lenght is 2A) the other end of the bar to the
other focus (the focus of the branch you are interested in ).
4) Keep the string taut with a pen and run alongside the bar (allow  it to
rotate ! )
5) The resulting curve is the desired hyperbola .

I hope this is sufficiently clear ...
This the theory but I've never tried the practice !
Let me know ....

Best regards

Alberto Nicelli
Italy ( 45,5N; 7,8E)