Art Carlson wrote:

>  Is there any way to construct a hyperbola which is of
>similar elegance and practicality to the methods for ellipses?  Is
>there an easy way, given a hyperbola, to find its axes, asymptotes, or
>foci?

Hello Art,
          Do you have the geometrical construction using an axis, a
perpendicular DIRECTRIX and a focus?  You'll probably find it in any oldish
book on Engineering Drawing

e.g. "Practical Geometry & Engineering Graphics"  by W. Abbott Pub Blackie

If you're relly stuck I'll send you a GIF of the construction involved.

Tony Moss

    \                      **         *******
    \\                     **         **
     \\                    **         *******
     *\\                   **              **
      *\\                  *******    *******
      **\\
      ***\\           Tony Moss, Lindisfarne Sundials
     *****\\          43, Windsor Gardens, Bedlington,
    *******\\        Northumberland, England, NE22 5SY,
  **********\\        55°  07'  45" N    1° 35' 38" W
                         Tel/FAX +1670 823232

Horizontal, Vertical, Declining, Analemmatic & Capuchin
Sundials individually made in solid engraving brass.
Professional-quality Dialling Scales, 'engine-divided'
meridian layout instrument with software.
Analemmatic dial plots - any size for any latitude.