Greg,

Many math books and handbooks have tables of tangents; many pocket
calculators will calculate them, and computer spreadsheet programs usually
can calculate them also.  The cotangent is the reciprocal of (that is, one
divided by) the tangent.  Also, the cotangent of an angle equals the
tangent of 90 degrees minus the angle.  See the example below.  While it is
possible to calculate a tangent from a formula, it is easier to get it by
one of the methods above.

The tangent of 0 degrees is 0; the tangent of 90 degrees is infinite, and
the tangent of 45 degrees is 1.00.  These are sometimes handy values to know.

Some of these calculators or spreadsheets use angles in radians rather than
degrees.  Experimenting with the example below will show if they do.  If
necessary to convert an angle to radians: multiply by pi (3.14159) and then
divide by 180.  Also, some methods start with degrees and fractions, others
use degrees, minutes and seconds.

As an example, using your 11.9 degree value:
the tangent of 11.9 is 0.2107
1 / 0.2107 = 4.7453
2 inches * 4.7453 = 9.4906 inches

Alternately, 2 inches / 0.2107 = 9.4906 inches

Or: 90 - 11.9 = 78.1
tangent of 78.1 degrees = 4.7453

Good luck with your sundial.

Gordon