Tom,

As an old "old timer" I cannot resist the temptation, with tongue firmly in
cheek,  to take you up on the meaurement of the diameter of a rod.   Whether
it is accurate or precise, I do not know, but to me a rod is a lineal
measurement, and does not have a diameter.

                72 points = 1 inch
                3 barleycorns (in length) = 1 inch
                12 lines = 1 inch
                12 inches = 1 foot
                3 feet = 1 yard
                 6 feet = 1 fathom

               ***  5 1/2 yards = 1 rod, (pole or perch). ***

                40 poles  1 furlong
                 8 furlongs = 1 mile
                 3 miles = 1 league.

    Square poles were used in my working lifetime for the measurement of
small plots of land (typically allotment gardens), but I expect they are all
in this new metric system.  Very confusing.   As no doubt you know  :-

            1 sq. pole = 30 1/4 sq. yds.
            40 sq. poles = 1 rood
             4 roods = 1 acre.
               etc., etc..

I have never come across lines and barleycorns, but I came across a
reference to them some years ago which claimed that the last time lines had
been used as a standard measurement was was in an Air Ministry specification
for the size of the brass buttons on Royal Air Force uniforms, and that a
barleycorn, a third of an inch, still ingers on - tho' not perhaps by name
now -  as the measure still used in boots and shoes.   The difference
between a size ten and a size ten and a half shoe, it was said, is NOT half
the difference in size betweena a 10 and a 11, but is a size 10 plus a
barleycorn  - a third of an inch!

   Apologies for any momentary distraction from more essential items, such
as sundials.

Rod Eden