Jim_Cobb wrote:

> > why don't you Anglophones try the metric system?
>
> > - fernando
>
> Perhaps you should consider us bilingual in terms of units.
> Technically inclined (and many other) Anglophones use both English and
> SI units with comfort, though we prefer one set for some applications
> and the other for others.  I wouldn't suggest that someone who is
> bilingual should avoid using one of his languages... (just to relate
> this to a previous thread :-)

I'll buy into that... Just to prevent you from calling me prejudiced.

To be sure, I don't have anything against the English units. They just
make my life harder. When I dive I have to use PSI (most diving
equipment will only have that); when I inflate my tires, the manual
never agrees with the air pump. If one is metric the other is
English. Pilots insist in using feet to refer to altitude (although
Brazilian pilots will always add a translation into meter)...

Now, I hate when I see something like "2 yards, 2 feet, 5 inches and
(the stroke of mercy)  1/8" -- It takes me several seconds to figure out
how tall that person is!

By the way: does "stroke of mercy" make sense in English?

- fernando

--
Fernando Cabral                         Padrao iX Sistemas Abertos
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.pix.com.br