Dear sundial enthusiasts
Today I wish to ask something non-sundial-related...

I saw the very interesting website http://www.indo.com/cgi-bin/dist which calculates the distance between two places, given their latitudes and longitudes.

However I wonder whether you can help me as regards another thing.

I live in MALTA, Europe, and am trying to do meteor triangulation, and to do this I need the latitude and longitude of two places, equidistant from two other places by 50km.
The two places I got have lats and long's as follows:
Ras il-Qammieh - Latitude 35°58'27"N  Longitude 14°18'30"E  and
Mnajdra            -  Latitude 35°49'41"N  Longitude 14°26'17"E.

Now I need to know the exact latitude and longitude of the two places 50km away from both of these localities. These lie on the two intersection points of two great circles with Ras il-Qammieh and Mnajdra as centres, and with radius 50km.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Alexei Pace

PS The greatest problem is that these areas end up in the sea and so I couldnt find any maps from which to scale off the required data! From my calculations however I got an answer of Lat 35°39'30"N and Lon 13°54'44"E for one of the points.

I can send you a picture showing the circles I mentioned if its not clear.Thanks

"Behind every man alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by
which the dead outnumber the living. Since the dawn of time, a hundred
billion human beings have walked the planet Earth." -- arthur c. clarke