Hello Frank and Mike,

        I wonder if another means of calculating oceanic residence time would
be to use the total volume flow of the the world's rivers per annum as
compared to the total volume of the world's oceans? Of course not all
precipitation occurs over land but this could be accounted for based on
area and precipitation distribution. I can check on the river flow value
and see if indeed it matches your 4000yr value. To keep the thread
"on-topic" how many years would it take for the same water molecule to
fall on a given sundial, perhaps the LongNow group would be interested!
Finally, I have "heard" that a given water molecule flowing down the
Rhine will on average flow through four humans before exiting (with
great relief) into the ocean.

Best,

Luke