>The Chicago Botanical Gardens also has a large dial very
>similar to the Moore dial.

A note for M. Blateyron - these Botanical Gardens, despite their name, are
not in Chicago at all, but in a remote suburb with no public transportation
access.

>For its size, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of
>public sundials in Chicago.

Prolly not; but there is a prominent one that's been overlooked so far -
wrote FB offlist but now we need to stand up just a bit for the honor, such
as it is, of the Windy City:

at the NE corner of North Avenue and Clark Street, on the grounds of the
Chicago Historical Society, there is a very striking sundial about 18 feet
tall is my guess, of a type which a non-sundialist will find very unusual.
I apologize for being a gnomonic layman and thus incapable of describing it
properly (or providing a photo online), but it isn't your usual
stick-in-the-air thingy.

Bill Thayer

LacusCurtius
http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman