Jim_Cobb wrote:

> Bob Haselby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Tony, This sounds like a "signal mirror" which were also contained
> > in life jackets etc as survival gear. The more modern are quite
> > effective and are great for annoying people on the beach. It uses
> > double internal reflection in the hole to give a virtual image of
> > the sun and so it is easy to hit what you are aiming at even though
> > you are to far away to see the actual reflection on the opject that
> > you are trying to hit.
>
> > Bob
> > San Diego
>
> I believe "double internal reflection" must be the explanation I was
> looking for.  I'll have to give it some thought.  I also remembered
> another detail after I sent my last message; the annulus had a colored
> portion, and I believe it was the colored portion that lent the color
> to the indicator spot which I described (it's been thirty years since
> I last saw this item... it's hard to recall all the details).  I wish
> I knew where to buy one of these gems so I could experiment...  On
> occasion I've looked in recreational equipment stores to no avail.
>
> Jim
>  ------------------- ---------------------- --------------------
> | Jim Cobb          | 540 Arapeen Dr. #100 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
> | Parametric        | Salt Lake City, UT   |     (801)-588-4632 |
> |  Technology Corp. |           84108-1202 | Fax (801)-588-4650 |
>  ------------------- ---------------------- --------------------
> It's a good thing that we don't get all the government we pay for.

Jim,  I found one of these signal mirrors in the surf years ago. The
mirror was partially gone from
the time it had been in the water. It was still in its flotation bag. In
the diagram I showed the
ring of reflective material (in mine it looks like a peice of screenwire
with a hole in the middle and covered
with little crystals. However even if your line of sight goes directly
through the middle of the hole you still see
a spot of where I believe  the sun's image  is backscattering off the
surface imperfections in the glass. However
it is not nearly so bright. The instructions on the back say to position
the mirror so that the sun reflects on your hand
or a nearby object, then without moving the mirror position your head and
eye to look through the hole to
see the suns reflection on that object. You will also see the light
"ball" at that spot . Then move your head and the
mirror together until the spot lines up with the distant object. As I
recall you can almost knock a person off there feet
at hundreds of yards away.
Bob