Bob Haselby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tony, This sounds like a "signal mirror" which were also contained
> in life jackets etc as survival gear. The more modern are quite
> effective and are great for annoying people on the beach. It uses
> double internal reflection in the hole to give a virtual image of
> the sun and so it is easy to hit what you are aiming at even though
> you are to far away to see the actual reflection on the opject that
> you are trying to hit.

> Bob
> San Diego

I believe "double internal reflection" must be the explanation I was
looking for.  I'll have to give it some thought.  I also remembered
another detail after I sent my last message; the annulus had a colored
portion, and I believe it was the colored portion that lent the color
to the indicator spot which I described (it's been thirty years since
I last saw this item... it's hard to recall all the details).  I wish
I knew where to buy one of these gems so I could experiment...  On
occasion I've looked in recreational equipment stores to no avail.

Jim
| Jim Cobb          | 540 Arapeen Dr. #100 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
| Parametric        | Salt Lake City, UT   |     (801)-588-4632 |
|  Technology Corp. |           84108-1202 | Fax (801)-588-4650 |
It's a good thing that we don't get all the government we pay for.