Maybe somebody can remember more of Kipling's poem referred to earlier
than I can.  Or even the title.  It was about India, I'm fairly sure.
Part went something like:

Are you there, are you there, are you there?
Three sides of a ninety mile square,
With a helio winking like fun in the sun,
Are you there, are you there, are you there?

Sounds like a long-range instrument to me and certainly mounted on a
tripod for this kind of accuracy. Morse, inevitably, I should think. And
why three sides?  I suppose a series of heliographs cannot send a
message in a circle but I could be corrected about that.  Any further
help?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Evans