Hello Luke,

I think I understand what Fer means about using sundials as the original
users did in their time.  I agree with Fer in feeling that a sundial should
be what it is - an indicator of sun time, the time of  here and now.  Local
Apparent Time is pure time.  All other forms and methods, i.e., mean time,
standard time, time zones, the EOT etc., are man made "perversions" of true
sun time.  I do admit, however, that in our modern age, a sundial is not
suitable for our current time keeping requirements.  The world has become
too fast and crazy.  In a way, I wish we could return to the slower paced
times in which LAT was satisfactory for every man's needs.  A Chinese
shadow sharpener would not be a perversion as it only allows for more
precise reading of LAT.  Well, perhaps it would be a semi-perversion, since
the original users probably could have cared less for that kind of precision.

May you have much sunshine!

Charles